August 18, 2007

Cary Grant on Growing Old

A yellowed clipping from Dear Abby's newspaper column, in which she published a piece called 'Meditation' as read by Cary Grant, shortened here:

"Now Lord you've known me a long time.... You know that each day I am growing older and some day may even be very old....

"Make me thoughtful, but not moody, helpful but not overbearing.

".... Keep my tongue free from the recital of endless details. Seal my lips on my aches and pains....

"I ask for grace enough to listen to the retelling of others' afflictions.... I would like to have improved memory, but I'll settle for growing humility and an ability to capitulate when my memory clashes with the memory of others.

"Teach me the glorious lesson that on some occasions I may be mistaken. Keep me reasonably kind....

"Please give me the ability to see good in unlikely places and talents in unexpected people. And give me the grace to tell them so, Dear Lord."

No comments:

I Blog Here & Here too