January 01, 2008

Dotty Pants Goes to MIT

I said that when I turned 65, I'd go to college again. By state law, seniors at 65 may audit classes for free. Considering that getting dressed, a twice weekly round trip of more than 30 miles and dealing with another round of teenyboppers lay in the road to free courses, I was loathe to start. Meanwhile, Open Course Ware came on the scene while I was approaching 65.

I "signed up" for a history class on American Consumer Culture and a writing class called Food for Thought. Actually there's no signing up and the professor has no idea you're there. It would be wonderful for the Invisible Man; he could remain invisible to be sure.

As much time as I spend rambling the net, I may as well add some methods to my madness, along with a bit of structure. School will be out by the time I'm ready to really hang out in the garden again. I can skip finals if necessary and give myself an E.

OCW is a large-scale, Web-based publication of MIT course materials, and is not a degree-granting or credit-bearing initiative.

3 comments:

kenju said...

I always said that I would go back to school after my children got into high school. Didn't happen. By the time I could have done it, my business was in full swing and I had no time for school. Now that I am semi-retired and have the time, I have no inclination to sign up.

Good for you for doing that. I hope you love it.

OhioMom said...

Like Kenju, I just don't have the inclination either ... good for you !

janie said...

You will forever be learning. Anything, and everything! I have the inclination, but not the time, just now.

Enjoy!

I Blog Here & Here too