January 02, 2008

See You in the Funny Papers


Today in the office supply store, I almost bought a Maxine daily calender with a laugh a day. For $12.00. Good sense prevailed before I picked it up.
Sometimes I can relate to Maxine and I'm afraid I look more like her than I'd like to admit: grey hair, glasses, dog and so on. On the other hand I'd like not to be thought of as quite as rude and crude as Maxine can be. I'd rather be, um, shall we say, Classic?

When I was a child, I used to imagine I'd grow up to be Mopsy. I loved Mopsy paperdolls in the Sunday paper. Just as I reached what I imagined to be Mopsy's age, Gladys Parker died in 1965 and Mopsy died with her. It's just as well, I had a toddler and a baby by then.

1 comment:

kenju said...

Oh, wow, Jean, that is a blast from the past. I had forgotten all about Mopsy! I loved her.

I Blog Here & Here too