December 08, 2008

Dollhouse, 1950


Maybe it was 1951, no matter. It was long ago that I got this dollhouse for Christmas. It is one of very few treasures that remain, most having been played with by many children other than myself. My mother did not believe in putting toys away, she believed that other children should continue to enjoy them.

This dollhouse persisted because it was made of lithographed metal and was kept inside. The plastic furniture disappeared long ago, broken. When I saw the more modern dollhouse of the 1960-1970's era on Susan's blog, Between Naps on the Porch, I thought of my dollhouse, in the storage building with boxes of Christmas ornaments and decors. It is dusty, but still brightly colored.

2 comments:

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

Hi Jean,
Thanks so much for the information about my dollhouse. I think you are right about the age because the flooring (parquet in kitchen) and wallpaper etc...inside it does look kind of like the 70's era. I love your dollhouse, too! There's just something about doll houses...they draw you in. :-) Susan

kenju said...

I used to have on that was very similar to it, but I got mine in the mid to late 40's. I sure wish I still had mine and you are lucky that you do!

I Blog Here & Here too