January 15, 2009


Last night I left the piano and returned to the pew where my coat lay. Picked up the coat and laid across my legs to ward off the chill in the air. Suddenly my right thigh felt as though something was stinging it.... I flung back the coat and a big bee fell to the floor. I guess it was a hornet, sort of gold color and bigger than a bee. I grabbed my purse and coat, told the lady sitting beside me that I had been stung and had to leave and rushed to the car.

Dialed Daddy Senior and told him to come look for me on the side of the road if I was not home in the time it takes to drive three miles. I've had shots for allergy to wasp stings; have never been stung by a hornet that I can remember, but swell terribly when stung by a honey bee. There was throbbing pain in my leg.

When I got home, I had a whelp the size of Daddy Senior's thumb on the back of my upper thigh. I took the whole adult dose of 'purple medicine' and medicated my outside with everything I could find that mediates allergic reactions, including ice. Before we went to bed, it had swollen much larger.

Today there's an area the size of my palm that is red, hot and tender. Taking a NSAID and applying hydrocortisone cream reduces the discomfort and heat somewhat.

The only bright spot in all this is, it took my mind off the pain in my left knee for a while.

1 comment:

kenju said...

YIKES! I've had those before and I know how badly they can hurt. I hope yuou are better now!

I Blog Here & Here too