August 21, 2009

Breast Cancer Awareness

I was invited to attend a Breast Cancer Support Group in town last night. Joyce, who invited me and who was providing the tastiest refreshments ever, told me that the speaker was an Oncologist who used to be Medical Director for the Agency where I last worked.

I was the only woman in the room who was not a cancer survivor. I happened to be wearing a pink dress, not chosen for the occasion, just what I wore all day when I took part in training a Volunteer Group for Hospice. I felt I was switching gears, from talking about the Dying, to mingling with the triumphant Living.

Excellent speaker, Doctor. In the course of his lecture, he was drawing a picture to illustrate a certain type of cancer and as he drew a nipple, said, "The function of a breast is provide milk. It has other functions, but I don't know what they are." Nobody laughed, watching closely as he drew ducts and glands.

I came away knowing much more about cancer treatment than I did before. The sister of my friend Debra had a lumpectomy yesterday for breast cancer and will have a type of radiation that is fairly new, not often done. Debra had conventional surgery and no radiation. We learned more about why and when that is done.

This very upbeat group is having a luncheon and fashion show late next month, to bring awareness to Breast Cancer Awareness month in October. If you follow the link, you'll find Linda Long, facilitator of last night's meeting.

1 comment:

kenju said...

The newest recipient of the grant given by the Jim Valvano Foundation for cancer research (sorry, I don't know his name) is studying colon cancer. He discovered that they can often predict whether it will recur or not, based on the actions of the original tumor. This is very big news for colon cancer patients. One can only hope that similar strides will be made on breast cancer.

I Blog Here & Here too