April 30, 2010

Blossoms at the End of April

As I walked in a light mist this afternoon, I thought about what blooms at the end of April: Dianthus and Roses, Poppies and Larkspur, Salvia and Violas. The last hurrah of Camellias are not much of a show, but a delight to see the last ones lasting in cool weather. Hydrangeas show promises of a wonderful season to come, as do Lily buds and the first blooms  of Echinacea. Missing are Sweet Peas not planted last November. Rose Campion is a good companion with Laura Bush Petunias and with Lavender. 





We had tenth of an inch of rain early in the day, more drizzle since.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Those are my favorite colors in a flower bed....red, blue and yellow and lots of green. Very pretty!

Heather said...

Lovely, NellJean - nice combinations!

janie said...

I saw some seed heads of wild poppies today, on the trip to the brush site. They were beautiful, huge pods, and they reminded me of your poppies.

I have few poppies again this year. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but it makes me enjoy yours all the more.

I Blog Here & Here too