April 10, 2010

Everybody Outside, Spring is Here.

Now that most chances of frost are forever past, I'm sending tiny tender plants outside to play.



I planted 4 Pineapple Sage plants yesterday, gave away two today, have 4 more promised, and 2 remaining to find good places for stunning fall bloom. They bloomed inside, but as the days lengthen, they stop until fall.

Two small areca palms that I kept over the winter went on each side of a wide path beside the 'Aquariaum Bed' where tropical plants and gingers grow. Cardamon ginger and shell ginger are sending up shoots. Curcuma hasn't a trace of new growth, but it's temperamental about heat. Maybe it isn't coming back. I dug a piece of Bulbine because it looks from the top as if it is dead, dead, dead. The roots look live, so I put it back. Persian Shield that bloomed during the winter and is leggy, leggy got a haircut and the long pieces went to root. The original plants went into the ground with some Licorice Plant.

Licorice Plant roots very easily in a bit of soil.
I put some rooted bits of Licorice Plant with a piece of rooted 
Duranta that has already started to bloom.

The wax begonias above are some of many that I've rooted.
They root easily and perform well planted in shade without 
twice daily watering that impatiens demand.

I am waiting to plant out begonias until white Caladiums are ready 
to plant in the same areas. I haven't seen a returning Caladium, which
is the signal for putting the tubers in the ground without worry. 


Shrimp plants went out today. The pot above of
White Shrimp Plant, several cuttings, all planted
together. They stop blooming now. In fall, I will
take cuttings which will bloom in the winter.

Red Shrimp Plant, two pots of three plants each,
planted in clumps the way they were in the pots.
Shrimp Plants are among my favorite plants to
keep over the winter because of the constant blooms.

Alpinias are already outside. Those left in the
ground are putting out new shoots.

When today's planting was finished, there were
many empty containers, but so many plants remain.
When starting cuttings and seedlings, it does not seem like many.
When I plant, I begin to wonder. 

I noticed when I was planting an Indigo Spires Salvia that many of the Violas had seed pods open, so I went back with an empty pill container to gather a few seeds. It is hard to ignore some nice clean ripe seeds just waiting. Many seeds have alread fallen. I have only noticed one volunteer from last year, a beautiful dark purple viola behind a clump of poppies.

Besides the Salvia, from Susie, I planted a purple Porterweed for butterflies. I have a rooted Porterweed cutting that was the only really successful Porterweed that I kept over the winter. I have some other cuttings that look sad. I have some Pentas cuttings that look quite good and some that look quite pitiful.  I planted out a pot of red and a pot of purple Pentas that I kept the whole plant over the winter.  They look less happy than the best of the cuttings, which must go out in the next few days.


Poppies are popping! Lots of tiny plants blooming that were not thinned; 
the first of the maroon poppies that self thinned reached a stunning size.



1 comment:

A Ellis said...

Nell, such beautiful flowers. I envy your photo skills. and a yellow lab too. my black lab mix is just a baby but I'm trying to teach her NOT to lie in my flowerbeds!!

I Blog Here & Here too