April 27, 2010

Heading toward Hydrangeas

Hydrangea macrophylla var. normalis 'Mariesii Variegata'

 Blue-gray leaves of 'Halcyon' hostas echo the same color in hydrangea leaves.
I can hardly wait until the blue blooms open.

The oakleaf hydrangea (H. quercifolia) is one of two Hydrangea species native to the U.S.
Oakleaf hydrangeas here are about to bloom.

Big blue mophead hydrangeas are getting ready as well,
 but not quite ready for photographing.

Since my hydrangeas are all blue or white,
many of my roses are pink.
Pink Roses of 'Gene Boerner' floribunda against loropetalum.


I like floribundas that make a big shrub. Gene Boerner is one of the biggest.
I didn't know the history of this rose and its hybridizer when I bought these.
Gene Boerner died before he named this rose.  It was posthumously given his name.



3 comments:

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Beautiful as always. I love the variegated hydrangea. Mine didn't return after this winter. I figured it would be the one cutting to fitz out. I have 4 more started now. I love that plant.

I also found a rooted cutting of Oakleaf Hydrangea putting out new growth. I potted it up for a trade for some irises in another month or so. I have another of those started as well.

Can't wait for my mopheads to put on a big show in a couple of years. They've got some growing to do.

Friko said...

This must be full on summer, surely?
We are here at the beginning of spring, all the plants you are showing are barely even visible in my garden. My oak leave Hydrangea appears to have died in the harsh winter.

Ginny said...

I love the variegated hydrangea! I'm going to add that to my wish list - beautiful!

I Blog Here & Here too