April 03, 2010

Nasturtiums for the GROW Project

This is not my first venture with nasturtiums. I hope that it will be a successful one. I planted my seeds in containers on March 1 because of the difference in climates. Nasturtiums want a cooler growing season than I can provide in summer.  I planted enough seeds to fill 2 containers and saved back a few to plant in fall to grow through the winter in the greenhouse to see if that is a better plan for zone 8b in the sunny South.

My last venture with nasturtiums was in 2008. I planted early, outside in full sun. There is no record past early May, but the plants were already stressed then. We were in a drought and the sun was hot.
nasturtium
Empress of India, May 2008

nasturtium
St. Clemens nasturtium, Spring 2008

Empress of India Seedlings, March 2008




My containers are already outside where they will get filtered sun.
I'm hopeful they'll last well into hot weather.  


I'm growing Nasturtium "Spitfire" for the GROW project.
Thanks to Renee's Garden for the seeds.

4 comments:

Colleen said...

Your seedlings are looking great. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your posts, and I hope you have good luck with the nasturtiums this year!

Mr Brown Thumb said...

Those seedlings are looking really good. I grew "Empress of India" one year and I wasn't really very impressed with them. Also, they weren't as dark as the pictures made them out to be. So, I'm glad to see your pics that kind of look like mine did.

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

Your seedlings look really good! Mine haven't sprouted yet. How do you plan to grow them? Are you going to put a trellis in the pot or just let them spill over?

Tamara Jansen said...

Good luck with your nasturtium!

I Blog Here & Here too