May 27, 2010

Roses, Lilies and Daylilies

I find color pallettes easiest when I use flowers from the same color family. The Rose Rose bed has roses from lavender through rose red to pink.

Belinda's Dream (pink rose) is on the end, Next is Double Knockout with
Pink KO slight to the rear out of sight, then the Lavender roses.
Little Business daylily is a good rosy red, not too tall forming a front border.
Algarve LA lilies are starting to bloom and Elodie Asiatic lilies are in bud.
All the roses are recovering from a rest after the first flush of bloom,
just in time to bloom with the lilies.

We went to Dothan today. Just west of Donalsonville, GA the median of highway 84 is filled with wildflowers planted by DOT. They are in drifts, much prettier than when they mixed the seeds. Moss verbena and  coreopsis were two I could be sure of, there are others. Moss verbena fell to the mowers on our highway last week, but it suffers mowing fairly well so it should come back into bloom.

I passed the garden centers of Lowe's, HD and Ace Hardware, buying only kink protectors to link together my new homebuilt soakers and more hose menders. Everything in a pot here has to go into the ground before I entertain the thought of buying more plants. Crotons at HD and Pelargoniums at Lowe's beckoned to me. Ace Hardware had daylilies, none as pretty as those already in the garden.


 

Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean at www.seedscatterer.blogspot.com in the hot, humid depths of Southwest Georgia where Gardenia fragrance floats on the breeze and the sun is hot, hot. Join us in a glass of iced Ruby Tea, dark and barely sweet.

2 comments:

RainGardener said...

Your flowers are pretty. Love the Daylilies, which I am starting to like more and more since buying some last year. Can't wait for it to quit raining so I can go over to the local Daylily farm.

Amy said...

I LOVE the different colors of your daylilies. I just have the little yellow ones. I can't find the pretty colors in the big box stores. I will have to venture out to look for them.

I Blog Here & Here too