May 15, 2010

True Lilies and Daylilies

These are the first true lilies to bloom, nameless Longiflorum/Asiatic hybrids. Buds are everywhere.

The peachy shades do well with blue companions like Hydrangeas and Stokesia.


This looked so sophisticated in the sun today, despite being an old, old daylily with no name. Three  blooms opened on one clump. They need yellow companions, maybe some yellow Zinnias.

Hot, humid, sultry day. Forty percent chance of rain tomorrow, 60% on Monday. I'm spot watering.

I'm working hard on getting all rooted cuttings into a home somewhere. White Caladiums are planted with 10 white Begonias to accompany them. There are 15 more little white Begonias, some I just bumped up into a bigger pot. Pink Begonias are begging to go out too. Begonias can stand drought so much better than Impatiens and rooted cuttings are easy to keep over winter.

If I was not so obsessive about sticking every little piece of something broken off into a pot of soil, I might finally catch up.

I can see that the violas I left for just a little longer are going to have to go. There are two rooted pieces of Indigo Spires Salvia waiting to go in the Salvia bed. Kniphofia at the ends of that bed are slow about  putting up a bloom stalk.

Butterflies are coming by 2s and 3s now instead of one at a time. I saw a Monarch today, or maybe he was a Viceroy. By the time I said, "Oh, there's a Monarch," he abandoned the Echinacea to a nectaring Swallowtail and was gone. I was holding a hose, not a camera.

Summer annuals need scattering. I see a single Purple Datura so far from the seed I scattered. One Cassia alata is up for fall bloom. Tithonia scattered itself where I just pulled up some stalks and laid along the sides of beds last fall. Melampodium and Madagascar Periwinkle are coming up on their own, as always. Zinnias and marigolds are waiting for planting, among others. Late Marigolds are as good as Mums in the fall for yellow and gold and orange.

I cut all spiderwort to the ground, save one clump. What a thug! It will put out new foliage and bloom again soon. Eventually it will need digging.

All flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean at www.dottypants.blogspot.com in the hot, humid depths of Southwest Georgia where the fragrance of Magnolias floats on the breeze and whippoorwills call from the woods at night. Join us in a glass of iced Ruby Tea. dark and barely sweet.

1 comment:

kenju said...

I love the deep reddish purple ones. I have three lily corms but they don't bloom anymore. they just send up long stems with many leaves.

I Blog Here & Here too