June 11, 2010

Another Hot Day

Today's weather. Hot, hot, hot. I was not minding it so much until DH looked at the thermometer and remarked that it was 109 in the greenhouse and 98.8 outside in the shade. I took the last of the little cuttings and things outside for planting. A wasp and I were going in and out of the greenhouse. I saw him duck under a bench and discovered a wasp nest there.

Today's Butterfly: Buckeye and American Painted Lady, peaceably nectaring on Lantana montevidensis.

Today's Pest: Mealy Bug. Did you know those things bite? They don't leave a welt like a mosquito, but the bite is noticeable and then you see that it is one of those hateful little flying creatures that you disturbed, chomping on your leg. I am going after them with a spray bottle of alcohol, which melts the waxy coating on them.

Today's Blossom: Dark Red Gladioli

Today's View:



Today's Edible: Corn from Farmer Danny's Cornfield. Most folks around here prefer sweet corn and it is being harvested up and down the road. Corn trucks and buses that carry migrant workers are up and down the roads. I like the taste of field corn, more like corn, less sweet. We picked 11 ears and I cut it off the cob, composting shucks and cobs. When I go back I must remember to take a camera. The long runs for irrigation leaves a wonderful 'corn maze' alley.

Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in hot, humid Southwest Georgia Join us in a glass of iced Ruby Tea, dark and barely sweet.

2 comments:

Bernie said...

Those temps sound exactly like some of our summer days over here. So similar ... except perhaps for the humidity, which is an absolute horror for us as well as the heat.

Your garden view is beautiful and the Painted Lady is just gorgeous.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Not quite this hot here...yet. Those blue hydrangeas look cool even though it is so hot. It must be moist where they grow. My lie down in a most pitaful wilt when it gets that hot because it is usually dry too.

I Blog Here & Here too