June 21, 2010

Summer Begins, Focus on Tropicals

Little bright Sulphur butterflies were flitting around where I was watering flower beds today.

Caterpillars are on my white Dutura and one of the tomato vines. I saw the fat green one on the Datura but left him there. I haven't seen the tomato worm.
Today's view is of the loaded pear tree behind the Pride of Barbados, supported with pecan sprout props cut to fit.


Pride of Barbados Flower close up.

Flowers and buds, Caesalpinia pulcherrima
A neighbor brought us tomatoes, peaches, some kind of hybrid between peach and plum and a huge watermelon from his garden. "I carried a watermelon," is my favorite line from the movie Dirty Dancing. I carried the watermelon to refrigerator in the garage.

1 comment:

Roses and Lilacs said...

Love the photo of Pride of Barbados. Never heard of it but it sure is pretty. That's why I love blogs. Can't help but learn a lot from folks all over the country.

I'm watching two tomatoes on my vine hoping they ripen quickly. Last year they hung was terrible tomato weather.
Marnie

I Blog Here & Here too