June 16, 2010

Today's Butterfly:


 Today's Chore 
I commenced deadheading. Echinacea has faded. You can see the oakleaf hydrangeas are done. Daylily scapes need cutting off all over and deadheading is a daily chore. Deadheading today's blooms late in the afternoon eliminates 'soggy socks' the next day.  It wasn't an artful ruse to park the wagon in front of Persian Shield to add extra color. Threat of rain ran me inside when it started to thunder.


I read that deadheading Oakleaf Hydrangeas might stimulate more bloom.
These formed secondary blossoms without encouragement.
Had I not deadheaded, I would never have seen the new blooms.

Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in hot, humid Southwest Georgia. We had a brief rain shower, just enough to raise the humidity. Temperature remains at 89 degrees, so it wasn't a cooling rain, but it did wet the ground a little. More rain may be on the way.

No comments:

I Blog Here & Here too