June 01, 2010

When Weather Is Hot, Nasturtiums are Not

As the weather got hotter and more humid, my Nasturtiums began to suffer despite a shady location. These photos from May 24 show leaves beginning to yellow despite careful watering. A decline in new buds was also noted.


















I saved back some seeds to plant in fall when the weather is cooler.
Nastutiums perform best here in earliest spring and late fall.
Verification of Nasturtiums as a cool season annual is found at

Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean at www.seedscatterer.blogspot.com in the hot, humid depths of Southwest Georgia where Gardenia fragrance floats on the breeze. Join us in a glass of iced Ruby Tea, dark and barely sweet.

I was growing Nasturtium "Spitfire" for the GROW project.
I'll plant more nasturtiums in the fall when the weather cools.
Nasturtiums are a kewl cool weather flower here.

Thanks to Renee's Garden for the seeds.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I always love those growing up a trellis! We're not ready for them here but soon... in the Fall.

Mr Brown Thumb said...

You have a lot of flowers! Older leaves yellowing is pretty normal, in my experience. I like to take the older, bigger leaves and add them to salad so they don't go to waste by just yellowing.

thewritegardener said...

You have more blossoms on any of those I've seen today! Perhaps mine will surprise me here when it decides to do what it's supposed to!

Diane said...

I think you have the most flowers I've seen in any post! I am too lazy to replant for the fall but hopefully some of my plants will make it that long and perk up again.

I Blog Here & Here too