July 05, 2010

Second Chance for Nasturtiums


When June was really hot and humid my Nasturtiums literally fainted and fell over. I mourned their imminent demise and Renee's Seeds graciously sent more seed for a fall trial. I set the pot and basket aside with some other plants that were not faring very well.

As hurricane season sent winds, moisture and cooler temperatures up out of the Gulf our way, the Nasturtiums decided to make a comeback. New growth appeared and even a few brave new buds. I cut the long dead vines and foliage away and gave them a dose of liquid fertilizer. I am aware that fertilizer isn't necessary, perhaps even sacrificing blooms, but the new leaves are so small they look starved. Topdressing with regular garden soil might be helpful as well. I'll try that.


It was interesting to hear on the national news tonight that temperatures in New Jersey reached 100 degrees with no relief in sight, while we had only a high of 92, cooled off with a rain shower of 0.2 inch of rain. Dark clouds are gathering again to the south.

I am growing Nasturtium "Spitfire" for the GROW project.

Thanks to Renee's Garden for the seeds.

2 comments:

janie said...

Nasturtiums are a favorite of mine.

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

July has been like that (hot & humid) in Michigan and my nasties look a little, um, wilted lately, too.

I Blog Here & Here too