August 14, 2010

Esperanza or Tecoma Stans?

Whichever name you know it by, it is a beautiful late summer bloomer despite drought.

It plays well with Pride of Barbados, bringing out the yellow in the blossoms. P of B is setting seeds and I haven't clipped them off. Only one of the seeds I set early in the spring produced a plant. It has struggled in the drought.

Other tropicals that have survived drought and bloomed are Shrimp Plant and Curcuma. No Cannas have bloomed and Lantana has very small blossoms.

4 comments:

Alison said...

Nice to see a post from you, was wondering what was up? Is it the weather?

Bernie said...

They are a great pair ... looking fabulous together and managing to get through the dry conditions. Shrimp plant is a common garden plant over here because it is so drought tolerant, as is the Caesalpinia pulcherrima which we often call the Dwarf Poinciana rather than Pride of Barbados.

kenju said...

They're beautiful!

janie said...

I have had very pretty canna blooms this year, and my favorite lantana, "Red Spread" is looking fabulous right now. I might try to propagate some lantana. It is a marvelous red, and you know I love the red flowers.

My esperanza are not blooming tho. I don't know why, they just are being stubborn.

I Blog Here & Here too