March 24, 2011

A Rose by Any Other Name


Spring arrived and suddenly roses are blooming. From upper left: Pink Knockout; Rose des Violettes with a Swallowtail butterfly in silhouette above the blossoms; Gene Boerner.
2nd row: Livin' Easy, Julia Child and Sunny Knockout after the yellow faded to near white.
I don't think of my roses by the patent names like Radsunny -- just the familiar name.

Julia Child has a marvelous fragrance, kind of 'fresh baked bread with honey.'

Butterflies are visiting Roses, Bath's Pinks and Azaleas.
I've seen Tiger Swallowtails, dark Swallowtails and big Yellow Sulphurs.
Earlier this season I've seen a few Buckeyes and a brief glimpse of a Zebra Swallowtail.

I did get some quick pics of Tigers on Azaleas which I'll post soon on Seedscatterer.

No comments:

I Blog Here & Here too