March 09, 2011

White Camellias in To Kill a Mockingbird




In the book To Kill a Mockingbird the boy Jem takes Scout's baton and destroys Mrs. Dubose’s camellia bushes. As punishment, Jem must go to the Dubose house every day for a month and read to her. He and Scout endure Mrs. Dubose’s verbal abuse and peculiar fits, which occur at the end of every reading session. Each session is a little longer. Mrs. Dubose dies a little more than a month after Jem’s punishment ends. His father reveals to Jem that the reading was part of Mrs. Dubose's successful effort to combat an addiction to morphine. Mrs. Dubose had given her maid a box for Jem. In it lies a single white camellia, waxed to preserve it.




The camellia mentioned in the book is 'Snow on the Mountain'
a Camellia sasanqua. These are Camellia japonica.





Last year I wrote about the movie Camille and
the camellia connection when my white camellias bloomed.

Weather has not been kind to the early to mid-season pinks.

Camellia season will end when the weather gets hot, usually mid-April 
when the dark red Blood of China is in full bloom.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I have to read the book again, this was a fascinating excerpt! Your camellias are just gorgeous, I envy anyone who can grow them.

ukhostland said...

Hi,
I just thought I'd send you a link to my own Camellias on my Gardener in France blog, but discovered to my horror and amazement that I haven't posted pictures of them over the last few years.
I will correct that very soon, but in the mean time, if you are interested, I can be found here:
http://gardendesigncompany.wordpress.com/
Best regards,
Colin

bookworm said...

I found you from a link on another blog and when I saw camellias and 'To Kill a Mockingbird' (one of my favorite flowers, and one of my favorite books) I had to read your post. Lovely photos!

Jo said...

I recently picked up a Camellia, 'April Blush' after having fallen in love with them while in Charleston SC during our road trip south & back again. Your photos are beautiful!

This year's weather so far, well, since Autumn really, has left everything and everyone puzzled!

I Blog Here & Here too