April 26, 2011

Great Leaping Lizards! A Snake tried to take over Buffy's bed.

Buffy has a habit of grabbing the lightweight fluffy blanket that is meant for her winter bed and running like the wind with it. Maybe she think's she's Wonder Woman or somebody. She left it in the front yard in the entrance to the Upper Garden. As I was coming back from watering, I almost stepped on a Corn snake (Elaphe guttata) that was draped over Buffy's blankie.

Unfortunately I didn't get a pic; by the time I got back with a camera, he had disappeared into the wilderness under the pecan tree that I blogged about needing to cut back. It was a beautiful snake, all red with little squares. When I googled just to make sure of my ID I read they were the ideal PET snake. I will just keep dog and cat pets, thanks. He's welcome to all the rats and mice and voles he can find. Even some of those slimy lizards that grow around here.

Today I startled a blue lizard and it LEAPED into the boxwoods so fast I hardly got a look at it. Little Orphan Annie used the expression 'Leaping Lizards' but I'd never seen one actually leap, they usually slither.

With an eye out for reptiles, I moved my Halcyon hostas today and carefully mulched them with leaf mould.

Today's snake looked kind of like this rat snake, except it was red. I think corn snakes and rat snakes are related. This tree with a hollow has hosted several kinds of reptiles.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Chuckling at the image of Buffy running with a blankie like Wonder Woman! My kitties do the same thing, but with plastic grocery bags.

I Blog Here & Here too