May 28, 2011

When the Deep Purple

Deep purples add drama to the garden.


The only corm to return and bloom of Purple Gladioli I bought last year. 
Beside it are several plants with no sign of a bloom.
Glads are a sometime thing here. We may have several blooms next year.

I showed this on Seedscatterer, I am so proud of it.
Purple Datura, in bud before it gets very tall.
This is a dramatic plant once it reaches some size.

Persian Shield Strobilanthes dyerianus is a great foliage purple for shade.
January's cold took out my line of Persian Shield planted with Lycoris
in the Upper Garden but most of the single plants returned. I always root
some to keep over inside, where it sometimes blooms in winter.

 
Purple Heart or Purple Queen; Setcreasea purpurea or Tradescantia pallida, is a great
groundcover and a good mixer. Roots easily, tolerates some drought.




Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in hot, humid Southwest Georgia.

1 comment:

kenju said...

That color is one of my top favorites!!

I Blog Here & Here too