June 04, 2011

All June in the Garden

"Wisteria woke me this morning,
And there was all June in the garden;
I felt them, early, warning
Lest I miss any part of the day.
- Ann McGough, Summons

Wisteria bloomed abundantly here in April. I hacked at the vines all through May.
Despite my prunings wisteria is blooming again. It grows up through a box hedge so
mowing keeps it from spreading along the ground, but the vines grow longer and longer.


Gloriosa Daisies or Black Susans Rudbeckia hirta have taken the stage with Purple Heart.
 Madagascar periwinkles just coming up with take the place of BES as they fade. You can't see them, nor the purple Daturas. I'm gathering seeds of Larkspur barely seen at right.
I've pulled most of the Larkspur.

 Daisies have taken over the Yellow Rose Bed while the roses rest.

Persian Shield with a small lavender Pentas.
Pentas are slow to get started blooming well this summer, or is it just early?
I kept some cuttings through the winter and bought two new red recently.
Butterflies find them a real treat, once they get going.


 Red Hot Poker Kniphofia is finally starting to bloom.
Lantana and Purple Heart are good companions.
Brugmansia cutting isn't very big yet and wilts from too much hot sun.
I never cut back all the Vetiver grass. The tan canes make good place markers when
I'm making plans. I just cut them as I need them.

Yesterday I planted out some salvia farinacea cuttings to bring the number of plants back to
last year's 18 I think. Today after we had 0.3 inch of rain last night I scattered some
orange dwarf marigold seed among the salvia.

Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in hot, humid Southwest Georgia.

1 comment:

Heather at Dusty Bay said...

Great colours and texture! You've done very well with your plantings, they all look happy & healthy. I've been thinking about getting a wisteria - still on the fence about it though...

I Blog Here & Here too