June 30, 2011

Daylily Crazy

The first flush of daylilies is pretty much over here. Some daylilies are starting to rebloom. I went back through my pics since the end of April until the present and assembled collages of the various colors.

 Garden name "Old Red"

Brocaded Gown, my favorite yellow.
I like to use daylilies with daffodils alongside. When the daffodils are dying back
daylily foliage grows up to hide the maturing foliage.

 
Byzantine Emperor tends to 'melt' in hot sunshine. Note petal edges bottom right.
Some daylilies with thin, darker petals do not hold up well in heat. 

Sammy Russell, frequently used as landscape daylily.  Happy in the sunshine.

Bride Elect

Reds in my garden include Superlative, Kents Favorite Two and a seedling red.

Two yellows: the round one Could be Stella and the heirloom 'Lemon Lily'

Salmon Sheen

Pineapple Crush with yellow and purple companions

The daylily in the center and at bottom left has no ID, mislabeled at purchase.
Upper left is Siloam Ury Winniford.
Dr. William Hunt in his book recommends using Vitex with violet toned daylilies for a 'French effect.'

Close up pics of some of my daylilies are HERE.

Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in hot, humid Southwest Georgia.

2 comments:

Alison said...

Thanks for a great post, Nell. Daylilies were my first favorite flower when I started gardening many years ago. These are wonderful collages, you have some delightful daylilies. I could look at red ones all day.

greenapplesgarden.com said...

You have quite a selection. They are such carefree plants and always keeping a blooming happy face in the garden.

I Blog Here & Here too