July 15, 2011

Bloom Day Butterflies' Favorite Flowers

When I went out this morning it was starting to rain and my hoped-for Butterfly post was not to be on Seedscatterer. I showed Okra blossoms instead.

This afternoon when the rain stopped, butterflies came back out with the sun.

Swallowtail and Bee on Pride of Barbados, Tecoma stans behind.

Swallowtail on Caesalpinia pulcherrima

Sulphur on Lantana

Dusky Wing on Lantana

Gulf Frit on Tithonia

A Skipper on a Zinnia

The very favorite nectar plant right now is Tithonia.
I made two short butterfly videos so you can see.



Bloom Day is hosted by Carol of May Dreams Gardens. Visit Carol to show your Bloom Day blossoms and find many other Bloom Day posts.

Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in hot, humid Southwest Georgia.

5 comments:

Alison said...

They are amazing! I'm almost speechless at how many you have, and all just flitting around you, like they don't even notice you. Great videos!

TheGardeningBlog said...

Love the Tecoma - I'm thinking about getting at least one for my garden.
Happy GBBD :)

Karin / Southern Meadows said...

You have so many butterflies! For some reason I had lots of caterpillars but have seen fewer butterflies this summer. I am still hoping they will come...the blooms are ready!

kenju said...

THANKS YOU so much for the link to the cutting garden blog. Their photos are wonderful and I am going to get some good ideas from them, I'm sure!!

Dreamybee said...

I love your Pride of Barbados. We have those out here as well. Occasionally they are used in lei making, and they are quite stunning compared to the more common orchid and plumeria lei.

I Blog Here & Here too