July 20, 2011

Fig Cookies

I wasted several minutes looking up the phrase, "... don't give a fig," and traced its heritage back to Shakespeare and beyond before I decided not discuss all that but just to tell you about my fig cookies.


I adapted a recipe for Italian fig cookies that I found online. Very simple to make, unlike the fig newtons which want a rolled and cut dough and cooked fig filling. Just cream a stick of  butter and a cup of Splenda, add an egg, dump in two cups of self rising flour and a teaspoon of ground cloves -- if you have cloves. I used Apple Pie spice. Fold in a cup of chopped figs and a half cup of walnuts. The first time, I used too many figs and chopped them first instead of last: disaster. This time I used barely ripe figs and cut them in quarters just before I added them.  They held their shape.


We've given away figs until the neighbors are avoiding us. I cooked some in light syrup and put in the freezer for DH's winter breakfasts. Pears are beginning to ripen and he's in favor of pear preserves now. I found a recipe for figs stuffed with parmesan cheese wrapped in bacon and baked until the bacon is crisp from a fancy restaurant in I think it was Houston. Sounds tasty.


A second crop is coming on. During the recent rain, ripe
figs swelled and burst, to the delight of the birds.
They get the ones I can't reach that are not hidden among the leaves down low.







Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in hot, humid Southwest Georgia.

2 comments:

Alison said...

I bought some figs for the first time at the grocery store the other day. A different-tasting fruit, I thought it would taste more like the insides of a Fig Newton. I'm trying to avoid cookies, but the fig wrapped in bacon with Parmesan sounds yummy!

janie said...

I do a treat with dried dates, cheese and bacon. I bet the figs are just as tasty.

I'm gonna try those cookies. We are getting a lot of figs now. Our trees are finally bearing.

I Blog Here & Here too