July 17, 2011

Ike and Julia and a Backup Plan

Ike the Cat followed me around the garden. I heard Mockingbirds scolding. I couldn't see Ike, but I saw Black eyed Susans waving. Ike was hiding while he chewed a bit of Lemon Grass. Cymbopogon is a fav of both the cat and dog. I pot up a clump for the greenhouse and they chew it all winter.

Lemon Grass is a fav of mine, too. I've had a hard time
taking to grasses. Cymbopogon makes a pretty bluish clump.

Julia Child is my fav Floribunda.

Another look at Julia

I moved two Mariesii Hydrangeas at the beginning of summer. What I thought was a shady spot got middday and early afternoon sun. Despite copious watering, they dried up and died. I had a backup plan. I've killed these before when I moved the first cuttings that had rooted so well when I stuck them in the ground. I took cuttings again. These have put on new growth. Now to make a plan for keeping them alive through the winter. When they reach blooming size, they have blue lacecap blossoms.

Mariesii in a previous year, cutting grown 

Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in hot, humid Southwest Georgia.

2 comments:

gld said...

Nell, you need to share with us cutting challenged gardeners how to do this successfully.

I have an Annabelle I would love to increase.

I am having the same experience with sun and a bird bath. I have moved it the third time....still get too much sun. I could cook eggs in the water.

NellJean said...

Glenda, I kind of belong to the 'stick it in some soil' school of cutting rooters.

Cuttings start in the shade, of course.
It does help to cut just below a node.
Rooting hormone helps.
Try not to let the cutting dry out. I make a little greenhouse from a Biscotti container sometimes. Sometimes I just mist the cuttings.
Know that not every cutting will 'take.' Usually.

I Blog Here & Here too