August 22, 2011

Collecting Seeds of Pride of Barbados


Last year I let most of the seed pods of Caesalpinia pulcherrima
split open. Seeds fell to the ground where they are lost forever.

Janie told me to tie a paper bag over the pods. She forgot to tell me that in case of unexpected rain to run out and grab the bag. This morning the soggy bag with seeds was hanging there.


Only one of 5 pods had not opened.
I'm drying the seeds in a colander.
I'm wondering whether I should plant them while
they are fresh?

A Pride of Barbados seedling in 2010.

When I was checking the spelling of Caesalpinia pulcherrima,
I saw seeds for sale for 40 cents each. 


Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in hot, humid Southwest Georgia.

2 comments:

Elephant's Eye said...

I knew I had seen this before somewhere. Thanks for the ID. When we went to the Owl House it was blooming in the garden at the BnB. Our hostess was no gardener, no idea what it is!!

janie said...

I hope you have planted your seeds by now. I don't think it hurts to go ahead and plant them, the seeds know when to germinate.

It never ceases to amaze me how dear seeds can be.

I Blog Here & Here too