September 02, 2011

Pink Angel's Trumpet

Brugmansia blooms are not quite open, but I could not wait.



The pinks above are not yet fully open. I hope tonight
to experience the fragrance of these graceful blooms.

Growing Brugmansias is not difficult except that they take incredible patience.
It takes self-restraint not to spread them around like huge jellybeans.

Last year I took cuttings before frost. They rooted in water
and then I potted them before warm weather to have ready. 
This year I plan to dig a plant soon and pot up.
The hard part is deciding just how big a tree I can accommodate inside.
I expect that cool nights will discourage indoor bloom.

It looked as if the blooms would be yellow and
I couldn't remember last year's blooms. It takes
a few days for the blossom to grow out of the calyx.









Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in hot, humid Southwest Georgia.

3 comments:

kenju said...

They are beautiful. Are they related to datura and/or moonflowers?

Bernie said...

Absolutely beautiful! I'm growing my very first Brug this year. It's suposedly a pink, but as it's just a baby right now I'm going to have to be very patient and wait to see the blooms.

Pauline said...

Absolutely gorgeous, and soon you will have the fantastic perfume too! I used to have a double white one but evenyually it grew too big for bringing in for the winter, still miss it, maybe I ought to try again.

I Blog Here & Here too