September 20, 2011

Tonight's the Night: Night Blooming Cactus

I spent most of the day moving tender plants into the greenhouse, expecting cloudy days and then cooler by the weekend. The sun came out unexpectedly and I was furiously misting. Eighty seven degrees outside in the shade and 93 inside, just enough to make newly rooted pieces droop. Gingers and such just laughed.


Dark alternanthera has grown in the greenhouse
floor all sumer, now joined by pots of Colocasia,
Persian Shield and Purple Heart.

White begonias and a Bird of Paradise with a new leaf.

Two large Epiphyllum buds show promise
of bloom by midnight tonight.

It's sultry here but I don't want to get caught with my tropicals out.

Late entry near midnight:

There's a small bud for October bloom.

More pictures tomorrow.


 







Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in hot, humid Southwest Georgia.

No comments:

I Blog Here & Here too