September 23, 2011

Wildflowers in the Fall

A good rain two days ago brought out blossoms we had anticipated:

Agalinis is blooming in the far pasture, a single pink bloom here and there, a whole plant in bloom in the bright sunlight.

Silk Grass is blooming, yellow blossoms and silvery blue leaves.

Elephantapus had already begun, little tricorn bracts with tiny pinkish blossoms rising from large leaves flat to the ground.
There was Eupatorium, the white kind, in front of wild Lantana which is reblooming. I had not seen Boneset there before.

 New York Ironweed still has blooms.

Butterfly stragglers were everywhere. We saw a Giant Swallowtail puddling in a mudhole on the way back past the cornfield.

I did not take a camera. If the dog goes it is best if I don't stop for photos. She will jump and run at any opportunity to check out the new smells not noticed at home.

Back at home we noticed blooms forming on Gulf Muhly. I trimmed back Tithonia so as to show it off when it does bloom in a big way.

Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in hot, humid Southwest Georgia.

1 comment:

Elephant's Eye said...

The 'single pink bloom here and there' I have also seen, but I have yet to name my wild flower.

I Blog Here & Here too