November 24, 2011

Green and New and a Joy to Grow

My Bird of Paradise has a brand-new leaf, unfurled today.
I underplanted it with ferns so it doesn't look so leggy.

The first Amaryllis bud is about to bloom.

 
One of the pest control crew, a nice fat anole.

White begonias on the potting bench.

I remembered what else I wanted to have to bloom through the winter when I visited Darla's blog and saw her beautiful Geraniums Pelargoniums. Like Begonias and Pentas,
they'll bloom all winter inside in a sunny location.

High up, a pale pink Pentas bloomed. It has some Begonia cuttings around
its ankles. and is up among the stems of a pink Brugmansia.

I had company Wednesday, the nine-year-old granddaughter of a neighbor.
She said she'd always wanted a greenhouse. I asked what she would grow.
She thought she'd like really weird plants.
We decided pitcher plants would be a good start.
She'd seen some on a field trip and said they looked as if they breathed.

Then we pinched and sniffed various herbs like rosemary, oregano and lemon grass.
We broke off dried blossoms of Salvia leucantha that she thought felt just like velvet.


 
Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in hot, humid Southwest Georgia where it is about to turn cooler.

2 comments:

Alison said...

How wonderful to be able to share with a young visitor. Everything seems to be thriving!

Carole said...

You've got me missing my time in my greenhouses. Too much time in the shop.

plants look amazing.

x
Carole

I Blog Here & Here too