December 12, 2011

Duct Tape and a Party Tablecloth

You want attention to be on plants in your garden pics.

The heat-sink barrels in the greenhouse are not attractive. They really do help in mediating the temperatures by holding and slowly releasing heat. They do not 'heat' the space but help to hold in what heat collects on sunny days. They do not however form an attractive background, however handy they are for holding a great shelf for plants. The shelf isn't a focal point, either.

The Bare Essential Barrels
 I thought of a great coverup at little expense. I used a purple plastic tablecloth from the dollar store. It was the perfect length for the shelf, even turning the corner a little way on the south end. I stapled it to the wood shelf. A little wide, so I turned back the first fold. Perfect.

Then it began to pull off. I duct-taped it from the back. Duct tape is not waterproof, so the loops of tape turned loose when they got wet. One day in the hardware store, I noticed a brand of duct tape that comes in colors, patterns even.

I  bought the tape called 'tie dye.' The color is perfect with
a blue plastic tablecloth. 

I put a few staples through both tape and tablecloth to secure.

A thin plastic table cloth has a short life in a greenhouse where pets visit. The next coverup will cost more for a sturdier skirt, but you'll have to wait to see it.

The next tape will be solid color -- twice the length per roll.
No, I'm not tempted to use the leopard print tape at twice the price.


Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in hot, humid Southwest Georgia.

No comments:

I Blog Here & Here too