January 11, 2012

Lichens, Moss and Trees

On Monday I showed you some of my stones with moss and lichens and algae. When I left the front yard, I followed the fences around to where some old utility poles are piled, some for thirty years or more.

This might be Shaggy Moss. I could go back with a
magnifying glass and my Golden Guide from 1967, or not.
Wonder why the companion pole has only a thin layer of crustose lichen?

Moss is forming on the ends.

Varying stages of decay and growth.

Where dust settles between decaying wood,
opportunists like chickweed and wild
geranium get a start.


This oak has had an insect infestation, drilled out by woodpeckers
and an interesting pattern of lichens.


Ancient fence posts, decaying and growing moss.
Notice the little spider web made by a funnel weaver.
(I have a little Golden Guide for spiders, too, 1968.


This line of live oaks grow along a former fence row.
I made pics of the bark patterns and mosses, for another post.

In the plowed ground of the firebreak, I saw numerous deer tracks.




Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in cool, windy Southwest Georgia.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Such an observant eye you have to see all the beauty around us. Wonderful post!

NellJean said...

Thanks, Karen. It's a privilege to be able to share what I see. The hardest part is deciding which pics make the cut.

Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

I can't stand it!!!
Those utility poles are a huge hassle to handle, I always get blisters and other boo boos, but they are wonderful for corner posts in pole structures and fence lines.
I've been running around begging for some... And can't get them...

NellJean said...

The Power Company used to leave poles on the land where they replaced poles if the landowner asked. I don't know where the poles go now.

I Blog Here & Here too