January 03, 2012

Secrets of a Seedscatterer

My other blogs have 'Seedscatterer' in the title. There haven't been many posts lately about scattering seeds, nor the results.

Before last night's freeze, I brought all the potted violas into the greenhouse and tried not to think about the ones in a bed out under the pines near the road.


I've been pinching off fat seedpods and dropping into the spaces
along the edges of the pots. I noticed when I was picking up pots
that tiny round cotyledons were thick on the soil.


White Alyssum seeds dropped in spaces around Foxtail Fern are
happily blooming.

Seeds scattered back in November: larkspur, poppies, silene, black eyed Susans and other spring delights have sprouted in some areas. Good-sized California poppies are already showing up along with larkspur. They are not deterred by freezing temperatures, just slowed a bit.


Behold my potager! I sowed a packet of Mesclun in a planter.
One fourth of the seeds would have been sufficient.
I transplanted some into a second planter. Squirrels got into
both planters outside; they're recovering inside now.

It's a treat to have enough greens for a salad or to clip arugula
to sprinkle on a pizza when it comes out of the oven. 

It's only weeks until we'll be sowing seeds for transplants. I'll be making transplant cups using empty rolls from bathroom tissue or paper towels. Four 1/2" snips with the scissors and folding the tabs under like closing a box lid make a cute little plantable container. 


I placed the little cups atop a new seed catalog. Paper rolls are not very colorful.
I receive no compensation from Seed Vendors nor Paper Manufacturers, lol.


Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in chilly Southwest Georgia.

2 comments:

Bernie H said...

It's just so easy re-cycling and re-purposing the toilet tissue and kitchen paper tubes, even though they're not all that attractive! You do indeed have quite a few seedlings on the go now. That's fantastic.

Sandy said...

We warmed up today so I was able to put my potted herbs back out in the sun... they survived being indoors. I also love to plant seeds, but I do it in pots. My yard is much too sandy being so close to the beach and seeds will not take. Very nice photos of your babies (seedlings).
Thanks so much for your visit to my blog.
Sandy

I Blog Here & Here too