February 15, 2012

Bloom Day in the Greenhouse

I stuck an extra hyacintha bulb in the corner of my broken pot
planting. It is finally blooming.


Duranta with a begonia cutting stuck in the pot.
Extras in the pots add to the fun.

 Lantana cuttings that I potted up in the fall with 
 intent of an early spring start in a different bed.

Begonias have bloomed non-stop since they came in last fall.

Alyssum seedlings

 White kalanchoe, pink Begonia and pink Pentas.

Rooted cuttings of Epiphyllum are putting on new growth.
Purple Heart cuttings are blooming.

If you look closely at the pentas there is
an American Painted Lady butterfly just above the aqua pot
on the Pentas blossom.
I only had one chance at a pic before it escaped.
One last look.










Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in hot, humid Southwest Georgia.

6 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What beautiful blooms AND a butterfly. Too good to be true. The only thing wrong with this is that it isn't in my garden. Happy GBBD.

Karin / Southern Meadows said...

What a great greenhouse! Your blooms are all coming along nicely. Not long before they can harden off. Nice to see some butterflies already!

Jo said...

(Greenhouse envy) Absolutely lovely!!! We have a very small yard and Hubbs bought me a very small walk-in greenhouse for Christmas but we haven't set it up yet. Is yours heated? Thanks for dropping by my post - It is Apple Blossom! This round of blooms is much more red than usual. Sometimes it has a slight fragrance but not usually on the 2nd or 3rd round of blooms. (This is the 3rd on this one). Happy GBBD!

Ally said...

Thanks for the peek inside your greenhouse. It was fun to have a look around. I see you like to do some propagating during the winter. Me too. Greenhouses are so nice for that.

NellJean said...

I have two small electric heaters. I turn on one for nights that may get below 40F degrees, both on nights that will drop below freezing. It is not heated warm enough for tender tropicals that can't stand a little cool, just to keep everything from freezing.

Luv that Appleblossom.

Les said...

I would have thought that the Lantana would be a perennial for you. We can only rely on Miss Huff, where all the others only come back in the mildest, and driest of winters.

BTW, I am holding my second Winter Walk-Off, and you were so gracious to participate last year, so I hope you can this year.

I Blog Here & Here too