February 18, 2012

Lettuces and other Early Garden Delights

Back in the winter I planted up a long container with Mesclun from Renee's Garden Seeds. I sowed them about 5 times too thick. Transplants did better when I moved some into another container.


For several weeks we had 'cut and come again' lettuces for salad and arugula to top pizza hot from the oven, a real treat.



Everything began to bolt and toughen so I pulled up the roots, freshened with new soil and planted two kinds of Romaine, not nearly so thick as before.

I put the containers inside the greenhouse, not for warmth but because of storms predicted and heavy rain tonight and tomorrow.


It's time to get busy with sowing in containers.
I have a dozen or more packets here waiting, herbs, veggies and
a packet of Nigella seeds for flower fun.

What have you planted?

I changed to a new Theme on my Seedscatterer Wordpress blog.

http://seedscatterer.wordpress.com/

Please take a look and tell me what you think about the color scheme and about the 'Post Slider' at the top below the header photo? It took me two days to figure out how to make the thumbnails appear.


Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in hot, humid Southwest Georgia.

No comments:

I Blog Here & Here too