February 07, 2012

Two tulips in Time for Valentine's Day

I can't wait to show you the first tulips. I'm just so excited to get them to this point. There are other buds but these two are the first to open.



 I set them in the doorway on the cart so they get cool air and sunshine if the sun decides to peek out.

These are in a plastic pot. The tulips in a clay pot are all just now starting to form buds. That was another little experiment on my part, to see if it made a difference. These were potted and chilled in the soil. Next year I might try chilling them before planting. I'm already dreaming of the colors for next year. I'm leaving off forcing paperwhites next year.

 These paperwhites were forced in a previous year and have recovered well. Directly planted, they'll bloom the first year early enough to hardly warrant forcing. I'd rather force Amaryllis for Christmas, hyacinths for January and tulips for Valentine's Day.


Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in cool, windy Southwest Georgia.

No comments:

I Blog Here & Here too