March 20, 2012

Lettuce Alone without Dressing

The title is an old pun first published in the 1930s, called Honeymoon Salad.

I'm hoping for lettuce with dressing soon before my romaine plants bolt. The plants in the tan containers will be snipped when they're big enough to eat and then a few plants left to grow on. The six plants above on the right almost went limp in the heat today before I moved them to shade outside. I trundle them back inside at night so they won't be squirrel fodder, which is what happened to my Mesclun back in the winter. All was not lost; they didn't care for Arugula, which adorned our pizzas for several meals.


Container tomatoes are not quite ready to pot up to a small pot. Peppers and Eggplants finally have true leaves. I get excited about every little sprout.

Over among the tropicals I was surprised to see Esperanza Tecoma stans sprouts already and a first purple Datura. Pride of Barbados Caesalpinia pulcherrima seeds take longer to sprout.


Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean blogged on Dotty Plants Journal in warm, humid Southwest Georgia.

No comments:

I Blog Here & Here too