March 29, 2012

Where Are the Butterflies?

They were just here while the azaleas in the header photo were blooming. Sulphurs, Spicebush Swallowtails, Tiger Swallowtails, even Giant Swallowtails showed up. Buckeyes, Red Spotted Purples, American Painted Ladies -- I saw them all.

Suddenly they're all gone. Drought has turned the azaleas brown. I've known for years that butterflies have little on which to nectar once the spring blush of azaleas is gone. I plan for that dearth of nectar plants.
 Bath's Pinks

 Pentas

Echinacea

California Poppies

Philadelphus

Did butterflies follow Spring northward the way that hummingbirds do?

The only butterfly I saw today was a Skipper.

Pipevine seedlings are up in the backyard. I hope that means Pipevine Swallowtails will soon be joining us to nectar on the Pentas I'm planting out.

2 comments:

Karin / Southern Meadows said...

Hmmm...maybe they made their way up to my garden. I am seeing more and more everyday. I hope they return for you. Do you have hosts plants for them to lay eggs?

NellJean said...

They left eggs, I'm sure, Karin before they started that 300 mile journey to your place. A new brood should hatch soon.

I Blog Here & Here too