April 19, 2012

Daylily Explosion or Is this a Normal Year?

This year's first Daylily bloomed here April 6. We are in the midst of a virtual Daylily Explosion.

Brocaded Gown

The peculiar thing about the early blooms is that they are not blooming in the usual sequence. Or, maybe this is the usual sequence and previous years were out of sync.

One of the early bloomers was 'Olive Baily Langdon' a purple that failed to bloom at all last year until August. Some of the usually early daylilies are slow to set buds this year.

Kent's Favorite II

Last year's first bloom was April 26, almost three weeks later than this year. 2010 was a poor year for Daylilies altogether according to what I wrote.

You can see the past two years' Daylilies here:


'Salmon Sheen' put out a tentative first blossom yesterday, none today but many buds. An inch of rain yesterday gave them a much-needed boost.

Vintage red Daylily blooming here today, here since the 1950s.



True lilies are also starting early. Looks like a glorious spring all the way.





5 comments:

Beth said...

I absolutely love hemerocallis - and yours are beautiful! I especially like the vintage one. It reminds me of 'Bold Stripe.' I enjoyed seeing your daylilies today Nell.
Beth

Andrea said...

Hi Nell Jean, you described them perfectly, "Daylily Explosion". I most especially love the color of the last one but all daylilies are great, it's just sad it can't grow well and blossom in the hot tropics. We content ourselves with the amaryllis or Hipeastrum puniceum.

Tootsie said...

I thank you so much for linking in this week. It is an honor to host Friday's Flaunt and meet new friends and visit the regulars (who are like old friends) who share. I always feel so privelaged to know that inspiration is just a click away when need a bit of a boost for my spirits! It is a pleasure to tour and see all the gorgeous blooms...landscaping and ideas that all the participants share, and I appreciate each and every link and comment! Now I think I need to invest in some more lilies!!! way to go!!! lol
I have shared your post today with my facebook page for Tootsie Time. I hope you will link in again soon!
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Just beautiful! Explosion is right
*hugs*deb

Darla said...

I need more variety in my day lilies. Everything is blooming way to early for me....your show today is gorgeous. Love the buttery colored lily.

I Blog Here & Here too