April 06, 2012

I'm Digging as Fast as I Can

When Spring comes early and quickly it is hard for gardeners of a certain age to keep up. Yesterday's rain brought cool air behind it so maybe I can catch up again.

Poppies keep popping. We've seen pink and maroon so far.
Calfornia poppies are coming on fast and furious as well.
Corn poppies have formed good foliage, no blossoms yet.

Lilies popped out of the ground quickly.
Rose campion is usually a summer blossom.
Just visible is one of the begonias from the greenhouse.

Brave violas are looking leggy. A haircut and
some fertilizer might give them one last fling
before hot weather is here to stay.

Echinacea is everywhere. It reseeded into paths, even.

Roses are early. This is Julia Child, one of my favs.
White Pentas are already transplanted into the yellow rose bed.

'
'Brocaded Gown' was first daylily to flower along
with 'Olive Bailey Langdon,' a reblooming
purple which did not bloom last year until the
last possible moment before cold weather.
Brocaded Gown blooms all over the garden:
edging the yellow roses, with gingers in the Upper
Garden, and other choice spots.

 Punicas are a fun shrub.
Flowering pomegranates are almost fool-proof. No pests, grows in sun or shade and lasts forever. I divided an old shrub that was here before me. 'Madame Legrille' has a long history.They come after the flush of azaleas, dogwood and Philadelpus and ahead of the summer blooming shrubs.

I'm trying to move everything from the greenhouse before hot weather. I planted out two Cycads that have fresh tops. The spot of pink visible to the right is early blooms on Spiraea Bumalda.

All the Pentas cuttings kept over the winter are going out to beds of butterfly delights. I'm waiting until they bloom so the unmarked ones are planted with like colors. Blue Porterweeds are in place. I'm planting flat-leaf parsley seedlings among the nectar plants to provide hosts for Black Swallowtails, scattered about so they're harder for the birds to find caterpillars. Pipevine is coming up everywhere in the back yard. I plan to transplant pipevine and passifloras to the east side of the stick house.


Join us for Fertilizer Friday on Tootsie Time, a meme where you can Flaunt Your Flowers. Thanks to Tootsie for hosting the weekly meme despite all the work she has getting a new place renovated and everything in place.

6 comments:

NotSoAngryRedHead said...

Lovely assortment! I see you also like flowers on the warm side of the color palette with touches of cool!

Darla said...

So pretty. I posted the red poppies today, the ones I offered you seed from.

Bernie H said...

I just adore those maroon Poppies. Fabulous! Great to see the Lilies well on the way too. Your Julia Child Rose is so lovely, and I can imagine how terrific the white Pentas will partner with the yellow Rose bed. You sure do sound very busy right now.

Lavender Cottage said...

It's nice to see a gardener that likes named plants and can remember what they are. I keep a long list of mine because it never fails to tell a visitor what something is and the name can't come to me.
Pretty poppies and 'Julia Child' is a glowing shade of yellow.
I've not seen H. 'Brocaded Gown' here but will keep an eye out for it. I only have 'Happy Returns' in the yellow.
Happy Easter.

Tootsie said...

I am so far behind this week that I can't even see straight!!! I am here now enjoying your share in my little party. Thank you so much for linking in this week!!! I hope to see you again soon!!! I am sharing this post on the Tootsie Time Facebook page! Hugs from Alberta Canada!!!
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

David said...

Everything looks wonderful. I am eager to try your idea of Penta cuttings. I guess we learn something new everyday. I had no idea they root. I'm excited.
I love all your flower choices.
Happy GBBD!
David/:0)

I Blog Here & Here too