December 13, 2012

Just Can't Get enough of Christmas Cactuses

Yes, Ma'am, I know the correct plural is Cacti. That's the Latin plural. The English plural is Cactuses.

Back in the early fall, Miss Winnie brought me cuttings from her Sister Trudy's Christmas Cactuses. One Easter Cactus and five of the Christmas kind. The scarlet one bloomed first, similar if not identical to the only Christmas Cactus I had.

My original Schlumbergera, bought at a bargain after Christmas one year.
 
Second to bloom was the white, a stunner. It's fuller now
since more buds opened while we had a warm spell.
 
Love the pink!
 
There's a yellow that is going to be fully open
ahead of the pink.
 
The slowest to open is still with tight buds that
i expect to be that pretty peach color unless it
surprises me and turns out lavender.
It will be splendid either way.
 
We are about to have cold again, perhaps down to 34 degrees F. tonight.
I set the heaters in place. Maybe tomorrow I'll bring this Amaryllis into
the house where it can speed up opening where the temperatures are steady.
 
 
Jungle Cacti lend themselves to creative plantings.
 
I'm linking to Fertilizer Friday at Tootsie Time. Join us there to see what's blooming. 
 
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

Larry said...

I love them as well... my oldest is now around 100 years... amazing when you think about it! Larry

Beth said...

Such a nice variety of colors! Really pretty. I like the amaryllis too.

Yael Ben-Ari said...

You have some lovely Christmas Cactii. Mine are almost spent now, but will probably give another flush of bloom. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Yael from Home Garden Diggers

Yael Ben-Ari said...

You have some lovely Christmas Cactii. Mine are almost spent now, but will probably give another flush of bloom. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Yael from Home Garden Diggers

I Blog Here & Here too