January 26, 2013

Come Look for a Blossom

We are having mild days here while much of the country suffers ice and snow. February freezes are inevitable. Cold wind will blow in from the North soon while we are enjoying what feels like spring.

During the day, a ventilating fan keeps the temperature tolerable for plants.
Cool season veggies just hang out on Ike's porch.

Tomatoes are growing toward the back. We need to look more closely.
I love my patchwork pattern in the center floor. Found it in the New
York Times; it was a driveway there. Urban stone, sideways brick and
river stones in the seams. I've started dropping blue glass gems in the cracks.
 

Forced hyacinths. The pots with three bulbs hold 'Gypsy Queen'

'Blue Jacket' almost ready to bloom for Chinese New Year.

Almost ready to eat! I wasn't sure I could pull this off without blossom rot.

The second tomato plant has a single fruit and some blooms.
We need a few nights at 55º F to set fruit.
 
White pots behind have Gerbera Daisy seedlings and a
daylily seedling extra. Two in one takes less space.
 

Thyme cuttings. I almost let all my Thyme die, so we're starting over.

 Brugmansia cuttings think Spring is at hand. I have shoots at the base of those outside. The
next freeze will take those away, I believe.

Second bloom stalk on 'Nymph' Amaryllis; Begonias behind.
 
I hope you enjoyed this little peek at my plants.
 

4 comments:

donna said...

It feels so good to visit your greenhouse. Hard for me to imagine having this much gardening going on in January.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I am with Donna. The plants in there are doing so well! I love all the blooms on the begonias. I'm glad you pointed out your good looking floor and the blue stones. Enjoy that tomato!

Margaret T. said...

Your hyacinths are coming along great! Just put frozen daffs in my big greenhouse to thaw them out and to force them.

Andrea said...

You have a lot going on in there, in your small 'conservatory'. And they look to have been receiving real tender loving care! I envy your hyacinths because we can't grow them in the hot tropics.

I Blog Here & Here too