January 24, 2013

My Garden Becomes a Photo Studio, sort of

Steve Asbell suggested using a piece of black poster board as background for houseplant shots. Now,  I don't just run to the Dollar Store like it was around the corner -- it's fifteen miles one way. I did have a little pack of cardstock and a piece of cardboard so I improvised.






I want to make a post on winter weeds, the good and the bad. Weeds show up in photos as a blob of green and more green. What do you think of the Henbit above with its nice neutral background rather than weeds and dry grass? I think you could identify Henbit from it.

Henbit is one of those weeds that get to stay because beneficials seek it and the little flowers are kind of cute.  It goes away when the weather gets hot.

Dianthus 'Bath's Pink.'
 
Cardstock backdrop in hand, I was all over the garden.
 
Hyacinth. Pink when it opens.

Dogwood seeds and buds.

 

Early White Azaleas.
I kind of experimented with letting the background show. Yes.
 


Lantana, a favorite of American Painted Ladies when it's warm.

Oxalis blooms and Parsley

 Orchid, inside the house. I had a terrible time with these before because they're in front of a window.

Many of the plants pictured above are here on Secrets of a Seedscatterer.wordpress. Yesterday there was no backdrop so you can see how they look with their normal background. I thought it an improvement, what say you?

Joining Tootsie Time for Fertilizer Friday. Come join the fun!

6 comments:

Margaret T. said...

What a great tip - I am forever getting a gnarly background or having too much light in the camera - I'll try it this spring...

Kind of like henbit - it is sort of pretty isn't it?

Tina´s PicStory said...

beautiful blossoms! :)

Gabby said...

I like that idea of putting black paper behind. It really makes your plants pop! So, Henbit is the name of that winter annual. It doesn't go away in the hot months here. I hate that stuff - its invasive! I'm shocked to learn that people like what I consider my worst nightmare. Other plants that people hate because its invasive, I treasure. It's all in the climate! Thanks for sharing.

Bev Carter said...

What a lovely flower! Your picture is incredible. Thanks for the tip about using paper behind the image. I will try that.

I am your newest follower. Hope you will check out my blog:
eclecticredbarn.blogspot.com

Alicia said...

The card stock looks fantastic behind the close up photos, when the focus is on zoom on the flowers.

Tootsie said...


Thank you for linking in this week again..I am always so happy to see my friends letting their gardens and hard work shine!
I hope you will link in again soon!
Your post today has been shared on the Tootsie Time Facebook page.

hugs from Alberta Canada!
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.
www.tootsietime.com

I Blog Here & Here too