February 27, 2013

Lane looked out the window and said, "Look!"

A Pileated Woodpecker was walking around on the ground eating.

I guess even woodpeckers like to vary their diet, ground bugs instead of tree insects.

 

 
 We caught a glimpse of the Downy Woodpecker pair but I couldn't get a picture of them.




Out of about a dozen photos snapped through the window screen, 3 ignored the screen.

She walked up the tree after I took this but all the pictures focused on the window screen instead of the bird.
By the time I remembered that the screen in the front room does not cover the upper half of the window, she flew toward the pines just as I looked out.
I wish I'd gotten a photo when she spread her wings and flew up into a pecan tree before she finally flew away. I rarely see one with wings spread. They fly like a wild turkey, hardly flapping at all once they get going.

1 comment:

Alison said...

What a treat it must have been to see her fly! We get plenty of flickers here, who also sometimes forage in our lawn or on the ground, but I've never seen a pileated woodpecker.

I Blog Here & Here too