March 20, 2013

Amaryllis from Seeds

Amayllis Seedlings photo 0713AmaryllisSeedlings.jpg

Frequently a seed pod forms after an Amaryllis blooms. Inside the pod are thin, papery seeds. The viable ones have a small dark lump inside.

The seeds can be planted directly into soil. I like to float them on a bowl of water. When roots are more than a half inch long and green sprouts have formed, they then go into pots of soil.


Second-year Amaryllis from seed.  Bulbs are about the size of a
ping-pong ball. These still have some growing to do.
 
Silly me, I forgot to label these with the name of the parent, which they likely will not resemble.
I didn't date them either but it was early 2012. It really doesn't matter, they're just for fun.
 
We are quickly moving into the season when Gardeners in the Deep South console themselves about not being able to successfully grow tulips well by enjoying what Brent and Becky call 'Tulips for the South' -- amaryllis growing outdoors. I had an early bud that froze. The plant quickly replaced it with a new bud, now about 6 inches out of the ground.  As best I remember, it will be apricot-colored.
 
The bud in the front garden might be this one, mislabeled on the box, so I don't know its name.
I tend to sometimes plant out things willy-nilly so I get garden surprises in the spring.
 
Do you carefully label everything and know what to expect, come Spring?




2 comments:

Margaret Thele said...

Oh boy - I am not so great at labeling - I do usually remember the gardeners who gave me things though and that is the important part!

Janie Jurkiewicz said...

Wow, they are beautiful!

I Blog Here & Here too