March 07, 2013

Staghorn Fern and Friends

Staghorn ferns belong to the genus Platycerium. I bought this plant in a tiny plastic pot for $2.00 last winter at a big box store.

The plant produces two distinctly different fronds, basal and foliar.

Basal fronds, often called “sterile fronds,'' are rounded thickened fronds which grow in overlapping layers and clasp onto a growing surface. Shield shaped, they protect the roots, collect nutrients and
take up water.


Antler shaped foliar fronds also called fertile fronds, grow spores on the underside for reproduction.

This plant spent last summer in this same spot, seemingly loving the heat and humidity and sun.

This winter I brought my Bird's Nest Fern Asplenium nidus from the house where it was not particularly happy to the greenhouse.


I didn't start out to be a Rainforest gardener but between the Epiphyllums, Schlumbergera, Ferns and Bromeliads I'm getting there.

 
Epiphyllum oxypetalum.


Flauntin' my Flowers with Tootsie on Fertlizer Friday

5 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Simply lustrous, especially the Bird's Nest Fern. Great job, NellJean!

Janie Jurkiewicz said...

I have a staghorn fern my mother in law got me. I was at Bellingrath gardens and saw huge one that had grown bark? When I called the nursery where she bought it, I asked how to find the "pot" it was in, she was confused by my question and I believe she explained that wasn't a pot but something the plant had done.

Janie Jurkiewicz said...

One other question....you called this "fertilizer friday." Last year, I used to feed on Thursdays....my husband had begun to recognize when I sprinted out first thing in the morning...that it's "feeding Thursday" I wonder if you had the same pattern.

Tootsie said...

thank you so much for linking in this weekend...I always love to grab inspiration from those who play along with my little party. I can't hardly wait for spring to come...It will be so nice to play outside again for a few months!
Your post gives me hope that I may not have too long to wait!
You have some gorgeous plants that I could not have here...so I will have to enjoy them on your blog instead!
I shared this post on the Tootsie Time facebook page
I hope you will link in again every week!

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

Self Sagacity said...

How fun! A hanging basket and the beauty.

I Blog Here & Here too