July 04, 2013

Babyland

I can't help myself. Every stem with leaves, every seed, every bulb needs sticking in some soil.

The need to plant cuttings is why I have Kalanchoes lined up on a board outside the greenhouse and three old plants with tender foliage crying out to be used in a similar way.  If I can coax them to bloom just before Christmas I can find homes for them.

Schlumbergeras and their kin the Easter Cactus have rooted themselves into dozens.

Bromeliads have a curious way of reproducing by making offsets after they bloom. The ones on the left have tiny insignificant blue blossoms in the centers. New plants are forming around them. The one on the right was in bloom when I bought it. It has all but died off and new plants are surrounding the old one. I didn't make a new photo of the tillandsia in the greenhouse that has new plants forming in the center of the plant instead of around the edges. I think they can all stay in one pot after I repot.
 
Every little bean that fell off my Burro's Tail made a new plant.
I have a plan for these, really. Martha Stewart's greenhouse has a display with Burro's Tail and Mistletoe Cactus which is another plant that I just happen to have divided....
 
I could not resist tucking a couple of seeds from a Gerbera Daisy into a yoghurt cup. These can go to live in the garden when they reach some size. It has been a good year for growing Gerberas, though they've been shy to bloom, the bigger ones.
 
Little Plants are  like kittens. finding homes is not easy. I am to a point that I rarely go into a garden center any more except to buy potting soil and more pots.
 
On the other hand, I am making lists of fall planted bulbs and will order soon.
 
I did not garden today. It rained all day, slow drizzle mostly, an inch and a half.
 

4 comments:

Alison said...

I have the same tendency to stick just about every branch that I break off in my clumsiness. I keep offering plants to my neighbor, but she always refuses. I may need to go to a swap in the fall and give them away to someone.

Janie Jurkiewicz said...

Nell, the more I learn, the more I learn I don't know anything....I had no idea about gebera daisies have seeds. I presume it's in the spent flowers. How do you identify the seeds? I have three of them.

NellJean said...

Plant swap -- Alison, I forgot about plant swaps. Wait, that means I come home with more plants than I started with. People here always urge things on you they want to get rid of, not just swap.

Janie, after the Gerbera flower fades, look for the center to grow into something resembling a dandelion head but with many more seeds and pluck it just before they shed off. Not every little fluffy head has good seeds. Viable seeds look fat and tan rather than white and thread-like. In other words, when you pluck off that handful of fluffy stuff, you will recognize good seeds at the end where it attached to the stem. Maybe I can post an example soon when the rain lets up and they bloom again.

Janie Jurkiewicz said...

I will do that...I have a few blooming now....

I Blog Here & Here too