July 06, 2013

Pruning Before the Daily Rain

♪ ♪ Well, It rained forty days and it rained forty nights
and it rained on the Allegheny Mountains.
It rained 40 horses and a Dominecker mule... ♫

It hasn't rained 40 days yet but we're well doused. The pond has water again. Before the rain came today we accomplished a fairly big cleanup. The rain came just before He-who-mows and cuts trees could change from the tree cutter to the forks to move everything.

We started with Sassafras limbs that threatened the greenhouse.


Using a hydraulic tree cutter is much faster than a chain saw.


 
Here's a glimpse of a pecan tree trunk leaving the area.




He said I would not have to move anything out of the way. I was doubtful but the cutter went right down in there and nipped out a sapling pecan that grew in the wrong place.

 


Then we moved around to the old Nandina line under the other Cedar. Catbrier, pecan saplings, a little oak too close to the building, Beautyberry volunteers.

My camera card filled and there wasn't time to fix it when we moved to the Upper Garden and bigger limbs. A 6 inch in diameter in my azaleas under an oak tree mostly fell between plants. It may have broken some limbs but I don't think anything is crushed. The tractor wheel took off an azalea limb when I wasn't watching closely enough to stop him.

Some trees in the front at the driveway came down along with trumpet creeper vines that looked like ropes. 

Then the rains came down. Again.

Love looking out the windows at newly open spaces.

4 comments:

janie said...

We are begging for rain here, now. I don't remember when our last rain came but it has been awhile. It is dry, dry, dry here, and HOT!
Bobby is envious of He-who-mows' toy.

Janie Jurkiewicz said...

The Janie above is a different Janie....you ever see Toy Story? Remember the little green men in the toy machine that goes OHHHHHH..that was me when I saw that toy....in pic 1

NellJean said...

Janie V from Texas and Janie J from Alabama. I know which of you is which.

We do have more than the average number of garden toys.

Janie Jurkiewicz said...

I have plenty of toys.....trust me...but that one was just something that made you go............ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I Blog Here & Here too